Our Safeguarding misson:
At Brixham College we are committed to safeguarding children and young people and we expect everyone who works in our school to share this commitment.
Adults in our school take all welfare concerns seriously and encourage children and young people to talk to us about anything that worries them.
We will always act in the best interest of the child. We believe that;
- The welfare of the child is paramount
- All children, regardless of age, gender, ability, culture, race, language, religion or sexual identity, have equal rights to protection
- All staff have an equal responsibility to act on any suspicion or disclosure that may suggest a child is at risk of harm
- Students and staff involved in child protection issues will receive appropriate support.
The College has a Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) with responsibility for child protection who is currently Richard Burden, Vice Principal. This is the person with whom you should normally discuss any concerns or allegations and he should be able to offer appropriate advice and refer to other agencies as necessary.
The Deputy Designated Lead is Raurie Newton, Student Support Services Manager
All staff are aware of the referral process as contained in The Child’s Journey be able to react independently if needs must.
In addition, the Torbay Education Safeguarding Service (TESS) can provide advice and guidance on safeguarding and child protection matters.
Sarah James – Education Senior Practitioner 07525 815441
Designated Safeguarding Lead / Child Protection Officer – Richard Burden
Contact – firstname.lastname@example.org
PA to DSL – Patricia Renshaw
Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead – Raurie Newton
Contact – email@example.com
Principal – Mark Eager
Contact – firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominated Safeguarding Governor – Andy Wilson
Contact – email@example.com
Chair of Governors – Anthony Prowse
Contact – firstname.lastname@example.org
Level 3 trained staff:
- Mark Eager – Principal
- Richard Burden – Vice Principal (DSL)
- Raurie Newton – (Assistant DSL)
- Kara Bridgeman – Vice Principal
- Tracey Hale – Senior Assistant Principal
- Lizzie Aston – Assistant Principal
- John Townsend – Assistant Principal
- Josie Carter – Attendance Officer
- Paul Birchall – Head of Year
Brixham Safeguarding Group (BSCG)
The College has a Brixham College Safeguarding Group (BCSG) that meets every half-term to review safeguarding strategy. The groups function is to consider lessons to be learnt from internal practice and consideration of external case studies. The minutes of the group are shared with all Governors and are a standing item on all Governor meetings. Representatives of the group are from key areas of the College and members are identified by the RED LANYARD. (Please see Appendix 2)
- Chair – Richard Burden (DSL)
- Mark Eager – Principal
- Kara Bridgeman – Vice Principal (i/c behaviour)
- Andy Wilson – Governor
- Julie Chubb – HR & Premises
- Dan Bunce – ICT
- Jeanne Marcham – PSHEE
- Sam Squires, Darren Whittington, Mark Tippett, Paul Birchall, Lisa Redfern (by rotation) – Heads of Year
- Lizzie Aston – SEND issues
- Raurie Newton – Student Support Services Manager
- Hayley Cotton – Sixth Form